OpenOffice Tutorial: Create a new table using the design view (II)
- This screencast demonstrates another way in creating a new table using the design view.
- To start creating the table click on "Insert."
- Then, on the menu that opens click on "Table Design..."
- The table design view window should open.
- Now, begin creating your table by creating some fields.
- Just click here on the first row under the column "Field Name" and type in the name of the first field in your table.
- Beside the field name, you should notice that a field type has been automatically assigned for it. If you want to change this to other than the default, first click on the field type cell here.
- Afterwards a down-arrow should appear on its right side. Click on this once to see a list of available field types.
- Now, just look for the field type you want.
- For this example we have chosen "BigInt" or big integer as the field type. Just click on the choice once.
- Great! The first field is done. Now click on the cell below the first field name to create another field.
- Again, type in the name you want for the field.
- Then, click on the cell beside it and choose a field type.
- Good! Now, just repeat the process for the rest of the fields you need.
- Good, the fields have been defined. Now, if you still want to edit some more of the fields' properties you can view them by clicking on their field names.
- Once selected, you should see that particular field's properties here.
- Just enable or disable the properties you want for the field. For this example we are enabling the AutoValue property. Just click on this down arrow and click on yes.
- Lastly, we need to set a primary key. This makes a field the primary basis for identification for a whole record. To do this, just right click on the box to the left of your chosen field's name.
- Afterwards, on the menu that opens click on "Primary Key."
- Great! Once done, click on the diskette icon here to save your table.
- The save as window should open. Click on this field and type in a name for your table.
- Afterwards press OK.
- Great! This table is ready! Now, close the design view by clicking here on this "X."
- As you can see the new table can be seen here.
- Great! You have learned another way of creating a new table.
by Kaj Kandler
Create a new table using the design view (II)
This screencast demonstrates how to create a new table using the design view (II). You learn:
- How to access the insert menu.
- How to open the design view via the insert menu.
- How to create field names for a table.
- How to set the field type of new fields.
- How to set the primary key.
- How to name and save the table.
- How to create a new table.
For advanced functionality with similar results see:
OpenOffice.org™ is a registered trademark of Oracle.
LibreOffice™ is a trademark of The Document Foundation.
Windows® is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.