OpenOffice Tutorial: Create a new table using the design view
- It is possible to create a table using the design view.
- To do this, first click here on the "Tables" icon.
- Next, on the tasks area, click on "Create Table in Design View..."
- The table design view window should open.
- Now, start creating your table by clicking here on the first row, and then typing in the name of the first field in this table.
- Once finished, you should notice that a default field type has appeared beside the name. If you want to change this, move your mouse over the field type and click on it once.
- You should see a down-arrow appear on the right side of the field. Click on it to see a list of other field types.
- Now, just click on the field type you want.
- Good! Now, on to the next field. Click on the cell below the first field's name.
- Then, type in a name for this next field.
- Afterwards, change the field type again if it is needed.
- Great! Now, just repeat the process for the other fields that you need.
- Next, we will setup one of the fields as a primary key. This will make that field the basis for identification of each record in the table.
- To do this, choose the field you want as a primary key, and click on the area to the left of that field's name.
- Then, right click over it to bring up a menu.
- Next, click on the option "Primary Key."
- Good, We have a primary key. Now, just save the table by clicking on this diskette icon.
- The save as window should open. Just, click on this field and type in the name you want for the table.
- Afterwards, just click on OK.
- Great! This table is ready. Close the Design view by clicking here on this "X"
- As you can see, the table we have created is already here.
- Congratulations! You have learned how to create a new table using the design view.
by Kaj Kandler
Create a new table using the design view
This screencast demonstrates how to create a new table using the design view. You learn:
- How to open the design view for a new table.
- How to create field names for a table.
- How to set the field type of new fields.
- How to set the primary key.
- How to name and save the table.
- How to create a new table.
For advanced functionality with similar results see:
- Create a new table using the design view (II)
- Create a new table using the table wizard
- Rename a table
OpenOffice.org™ is a registered trademark of Oracle.
LibreOffice™ is a trademark of The Document Foundation.
Windows® is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.