OpenOffice Tutorial: Create a new table using the table wizard
- You can create a table using the "Table Wizard."
- To do this, in the database area click on the "Tables" Icon here.
- Next, In the tasks area, look for the option "Use Wizard to Create Table..." and click on it once.
- Good. The Table Wizard has opened.
- In this first step we are going to select the fields for the table. First choose a category here.
- For this example, we are choosing the "Personal" category. Just click on it once.
- Once you have a category, click on this down arrow to choose from some sample tables in the selected category. This should help the wizard choose fields for you. Click on the choice you want.
- Good! This list should show the common fields under the category and sample table you have chosen. Now, click on a field to select it.
- Then, click on this right arrow to enter the field.
- Now, repeat the process for the next field you need. Click on it once....
- ...then click on the right arrow.
- Notice that the fields you have selected appear here.
- Now, just do the process over and over until you have selected all the fields you need.
- Once you are done selecting, you can adjust the order with which the fields are arranged. Do this by clicking on a field...
- ...and then click on these arrow buttons to move the field selected up or down in the order.
- Afterwards, click on "Next."
- Now, on this next step you are asked to set the field types and formats. First set the field's name here.
- Next, you can change the field's type by clicking on this down arrow and choosing from a list of suitable types. Click once on the choice you need.
- Depending on the field type, it is also possible to enable the AutoValue feature that automatically generates a value for the field. Just choose Yes or No in this drop down list to toggle the feature.
- Great! Now just repeat the the process for the other fields. Remember that different fields will require different field types and options. But most common options have already been set to default here by the wizard.
- Now, there are some fields however where you want a limit to the characters that can be entered. You can change the limit by specifiying it here in the "Length" field. Just type in the value you need.
- You can add this limit to most field types.
- Once done, click on "Next."
- Now, here you are asked if you want a primary key to easily identify each record in the table.
- Just click on the choice you want. In this example we are going to use a primary key using one of the fields. Click on the choice here.
- Next, click on this down arrow to choose from the list of fields that you can use.
- For this example, we are choosing the AddressID as the primary key. Just click on it once.
- Afterwards, click on "Next"
- Lastly, enter the name you want for the table here and then press "Finish"
- Great! You have made a new table using the table wizard.
by Kaj Kandler
Create a new table using the table wizard
- How to access the Table Wizard.
- How to select the fields you want for a table.
- How to set the field type and format of the fields you selected.
- How to name the table.
- How to create a new table.
For advanced functionality with similar results see:
OpenOffice.org™ is a registered trademark of Oracle.
LibreOffice™ is a trademark of The Document Foundation.
Windows® is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.