OpenOffice Tutorial: Find specific query results using the match case option
- This screencast will demonstrate the "Match Case" search feature when looking through the results of a query.
- In this example we are searching for Elvis. The first step is to click on the "Binoculars" icon here, this is the find record button.
- The record search window should open.
- Now, we shall specify what to look for by clicking on this field here and then typing in the text we want. Take note that we have entered the word "elvis" in lower case letters.
- Next, we will choose which fields to include in the search. For this example we are searching through all the fields, so we are clicking on the "All Fields" option here.
- Now, when we click on search....
- ...a message appears telling us that no records were found. How is this so?
- To figure this out we shall click on "OK" first.
- Now, if you see here, the "Match Case" feature is enabled.
- Apparently the search failed because there is no text in the results with the word "elvis" all in lower case letters.
- To fix the problem just uncheck the "Match Case" option to ignore the letter case of results and perform a broader search.
- Now, we'll click on search again and see if it works.
- Great! We have found Elvis! The name has been highlighted here in the results. As you can see the first letter "E" was capitalized, that's why the search eariler failed.
- Take note of that difference when enabling or disabling the "Match Case" search feature. Use it when you are more or less sure about the word you are searching for, otherwise it is better to disable it for a broader search.
- Once done, just click here on "Close"
- Congratulations! You have learned about the Match Case feature when searching through query results.
by Kaj Kandler
Find specific query results using the match case option
This screencast demonstrates how to find specific query results using the match case option. You learn:
- How to open the record search window.
- How to find a specific query result using the match case option.
For advanced functionality with similar results see:
- Find specific query results within one field
- Find specific query results through all fields
- Remove all filters and sort orders in query results
OpenOffice.org™ is a registered trademark of Oracle.
LibreOffice™ is a trademark of The Document Foundation.
Windows® is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.