OpenOffice Tutorial: Insert a pie chart
- The first step in making a pie chart is selecting the data for the chart.
- Do this by clicking and holding the left mouse button on one end of the cells.
- Then, while holding the button, move your mouse through the other cells that need to be selected.
- Once all the cells you need are selected, release the mouse button.
- Next, click here on "Insert"
- Then, on the menu that opens click on the option "Chart..."
- Good! The AutoFormat Chart window should appear.
- Notice that the cell range you have selected has appeared here. You can still edit this if you think you've made a mistake in selecting. Otherwise leave it be.
- Next, you can specify where the chart will be placed by selecting a worksheet here. Just click on this down arrow to see a list of worksheets.
- In this example we want the chart to appear in the "Expenses" worksheet so we are clicking on it here.
- Once finished click on "Next"
- Now, on this next step, first choose how the data series was arranged in the worksheet. This is important since the chart will appear wrong if this is not set correctly.
- This preview window should guide you if the setting is correct for the kind of chart you want.
- For our pie chart to appear correctly we have clicked on the option "Rows"
- Great! Now, you can choose which chart type you want. To make a pie chart click on the pie icon here.
- As you can see on the preview window, using the data series in rows makes the pie chart appear correctly.
- Just click on "Next" to continue.
- Now, here you can choose from several pie chart variants.
- Just look again in this preview window to see if the variant selected fits your data.
- You can choose from the "Rings" variant...
- ...the offset variant 1...
- ...and the offset variant 2.
- But for our purposes, we are just choosing the "Normal" pie chart setting. Just click on that option here.
- Once you're done choosing just click on "Next"
- Now, on this last step you can choose what types of information to display along with the chart.
- Usually you would want a title to accompany the chart. Just type in the title you want here.
- Great! Once you're done, click on "Create"
- Congratulations! You have inserted a Pie Chart!
by Kaj Kandler
Insert a pie chart
This screencast demonstrates how to insert a pie chart. You learn:
- How to select cells.
- How to create a pie chart using the autoformat feature.
- How to insert the pie chart to a worksheet.
For advanced functionality with similar results see:
OpenOffice.org™ is a registered trademark of Oracle.
LibreOffice™ is a trademark of The Document Foundation.