OpenOffice Tutorial: Save toolbar changes to a document or template
- This screencast will demonstrate how to save toolbar changes to a document or template.
- Unfortunately, it also exposes a bug when doing so.
- For this example, we shall attempt to put in the "Save As" button here in this location of the toolbar and save it to a template.
- To do this, first we click on the "View" option here.
- Then, on the menu that opens, we move the mouse over the option "Toolbars."
- A side menu should open. Look for the "Customize..." option here and click on it once.
- The customize window should appear.
- In the toolbars tab, first click on this down arrow to view a list of toolbars that can be edited.
- Once the list opens, look for the toolbar you want to edit and click on it once. In this example we are clicking on the Standard toolbar, where the "Save As" button is.
- Below, you should see the list of all the buttons available for the standard toolbar.
- We are clicking on the checkbox beside the "Save As" option to enable it at the toolbar.
- Good! Now, below the list you should see the "Save In" field. Click on this down arrow to view the list of documents or templates where you can save the toolbar changes to.
- In this example we will attempt to save the toolbar changes to the template "Monthly Expenses.ots" So we are clicking on this option once.
- Afterwards, just press "OK."
- Great! As you can see, the "Save As" button has appeared here in the template.
- Now, we are going to demonstrate the bug by first closing this template. We're just clicking on the close document button here.
- Afterwards, when asked, we'll save the changes we made to the template by clicking on "Save" here.
- Good. Now to show the bug, we are opening a new document. We're just clicking on the New Document button here.
- Next, we'll choose a spreadsheet as the document for our demonstration. We are clicking on it once.
- Great! Now, as you can see the "Save As" button still appears here, even though we haven't saved this change for all OpenOffice documents or templates eariler.
- This occurance is probably a bug wherein the saved toolbar changes for a document or template, becomes applied for all new documents instead.
- Please take note of this bug when customizing your toolbars. Good, we have learned something important.
by Kaj Kandler
Save toolbar changes to a document or template
This screencast demonstrates how to save toolbar changes to a document or template. You learn:
- How to find the customize dialog window.
- How to show view hidden buttons.
- How to attempt to save toolbar changes to a document or template.
- About the bug that fails to save toolbar changes for one particular document only.
This tutorial procedure can be applied to the following OpenOffice.org modules.
For advanced functionality with similar results see:
- Reset toolbar buttons to default values
- Change a button's position in the toolbar
- Hide a toolbar button
- View hidden toolbar buttons
OpenOffice.org™ is a registered trademark of Oracle.
LibreOffice™ is a trademark of The Document Foundation.